Thursday, May 17, 2012
Author: M. J. Putney
Series: Dark Mirror #1
Published: March 1, 2011 by St. Martin's Press
Pages: 305
Rating: 2.5 Stars

Lady Victoria Mansfield, youngest daughter of the earl and countess of Fairmount, is destined for a charmed life. Soon she will be presented during the London season, where she can choose a mate worthy of her status.  Yet Tory has a shameful secret—a secret so powerful that, if exposed, itcould strip her of her position and disgrace her family forever. Tory’s blood is tainted . . . by magic.

When a shocking accident forces Tory to demonstrate her despised skill, the secret she’s fought so hard to hide is revealed for all to see. She is immediately exiled to Lackland Abbey, a reform school for young men and women in her position. There she will learn to suppress her deplorable talents and maybe, if she’s one of the lucky ones, be able to return to society. But Tory’s life is about to change forever. 


My ThoughtsIt's a sad day when a book doesn't meet your expectations. I was really interested to read this book, but unfortunately it didn't live up to my standards. It was a fun cute read with magic but it just didn't grab me enough. I got distracted but two or three books before I came back to finish this one. The idea that begins this book is that magic is frowned upon in the London societies of 1803. Lady Victoria (or Tory) grows up in one of the nice families and is horrified to discover that she has the magical ability. Of course her family sends her off to Lackland Abbey, a school where they supposedly "cure you of your ability". 

I have to say it was interesting, but for me it didn't work in an ideal way. There is this whole Time-Traveling twist with the Mirror that shows up and that was interesting, but I dunno, it almost didn't work. It was kinda weird. Don't get me wrong, her historical detailing was really well done but I dunno I just felt like it was to.....bland. It needed more flavorPutney's writing was nice as well but it was also a bit dull. I felt like there were times when unnecessary things were inserted and it took me off the storyline. Being a writer and reader I notice things and so it stands out more. It felt like some of the wrong things were being described and the things that should've had it weren't getting the right attention. I dunno, maybe I'm just being picky. 

The cast of characters was widely ranging and enjoyable, but I just didn't get into them as I like to. Tory was told in 3rd person and normally I'm not as much of a fan of reading that because I don't feel like I get the characters and the motives portrayed as clearly. Tory was well written but I was missing that link. I didn't feel the character development as much as I'd have liked to. She was enjoyable and I got all her motives but....

The romance was sweet. Allarde sounds uber hot. I want to meet him. So yes I approve of Allarde. But I get like they hardly knew each other before they were acknowledging they both wanted to be together! I mean they have this strong magical connection and there is attraction but I didn't see much else... so it was lacking. But I approve of Allarde. 

Okay I know it's a historical book and I love historical, but sometimes how they talked just got to me. They used phrases like "I'm very pleased to hear that," Tory smiled at her friend. Okay so not that bad, but yes poke me now, especially since I keep saying I love historical and I do but it didn't work so well in this book. I hate to rat out a book that's how I feel. And then the whole WW2 twist (sorry, mini spoiler) I was like.. What? Why? How? It was kinda out of the blue and I was a bit discombobulated. But either way it was an enjoyable fantasy/historical novel about friends and working together for the common good. So I won't say it wasn't a read wasted, just one that could have been better. 

Content: Mild
(instances of the D*** word throughout, a couple mentions of wanting to "ruin" each other but having to wait)

Have you read Dark Mirror? If so, what are your thoughts on the book? I'd love to hear about them in the comments.










This review is 100% from Inky's brain, and use of it without consent is prohibited.

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews