Saturday, August 11, 2012
Author: Sasha Gould
Released: 3.13.12
When 16-year-old Laura della Scala learns that her older sister, Beatrice, has drowned, she is given no time to grieve. Instead, Laura's father removes her from the convent where he forcibly sent her years earlier and orders her to marry Beatrice's fiancĂ©, a repulsive old merchant named Vincenzo. Panicked, Laura betrays a powerful man to earn her way into the Segreta, a shadowy society of women who deal in only one currency—secrets. The Segreta seems like the answer to Laura's prayers. The day after she joins their ranks, Vincenzo is publicly humiliated and conveniently exiled. Soon, however, Laura begins to suspect that her sister's death was not a tragic accident but a cold-blooded murder—one that might involve the Segreta and the women she has come to trust.

Inky's Blurbings:
It is a truth universally acknowledged that I LURV historical intrigue. Plus Venice?  *squeak* And yet,  I found quite a big problem going into the novel. I KNEW HALF THE STINKIN PREMISE. (which is why you might now want to read the synopsis..)

I hate, hate, hate, summaries that do that.

I mean I was pretty much predicting -no, cut that I KNEW- what was happening and what was going to happen for about the first 1/3-1/2 of the novel. Um, sadness? And then not to mention it still started slow. Laura wasn't the most interesting character at the beginning and because I knew what to expect, it lost most the excitement surrounding the intrigue.

Luckily, the book began to redeem itself around halfway mark, (the synopsis was finished so things took new twists (YAY)) and the romance began. Giacomo was like a breath of fresh air. Ack. He's awesome. I think the relationship was fairly well developed. They got to know each other pretty well, though I wish there had been more space in the book for that. This book isn't even 300 pages. When I pick up a book that size, I have my doubts. But it was still well delivered.

The Venice that is portrayed was beautiful. I really have to give it so Sasha for her lush descriptions and portrayals. It was really great without being to little or to much description. So did I like it? Yeah I did. Not at first, but it redeemed itself to a nice read. By the end I enjoyed it, but still about a 3.5 rating.

Content: Mild
(Language: Quite a bit ofDeity related phrases, a couple Da**s and He**s. A few moments of innuendo, kissing scenes)

3.5 Stars

Have you read Cross My Heart? What did you think? Let me know! TNT,

1 comment:

  1. That right there is the reason I never ever read premises. Glad you ended up liking the end of it :)

    Jessica @ Books: A true story

    ReplyDelete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews