Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Author: Laura DeLuca
Published: 3.30.12 by Pagan Writers Press
Pages: 262
The “Phantom” was a musical phenomenon that Rebecca had always found enchanting. She had no idea that her life was about to mirror the play that was her obsession. When her high school drama club chooses “Phantom” as their annual production, Rebecca finds herself in the middle of an unlikely love triangle and the target of a sadistic stalker who uses the lines from the play as their calling card. Rebecca lands the lead role of Christine, the opera diva, and like her character, she is torn between her two co-stars—Tom the surfer and basketball star who plays the lovable hero, and Justyn, the strangely appealing Goth who is more than realistic in the role of the tortured artist.

Almost immediately after casting, strange things start to happen both on and off the stage. Curtains fall. Mirrors are shattered. People are hurt in true phantom style. They all seem like accidents until Rebecca receives notes and phone calls that hint at something more sinister. Is Justyn bringing to life the twisted character of the phantom? Or in real life are the roles of the hero and the villain reversed? Rebecca doesn’t know who to trust, but she knows she’s running out of time as she gets closer and closer to opening night. Only when the mask is stripped away, will the twenty first century phantom finally be revealed.
Inky's Blurbings:
I got a copy of this from the author and I was really excited. Phantom of the Opera has kind of taken over my life. So naturally I was very excited by the prospect of this Teen retelling of the classic tale. It was a very enjoyable read and I went through it in about a day.

We start off with the main character Becca, about to audition for Christine in her school's upcoming performance of Phantom of the Opera. Becca is that rare talent hidden in the body of a girl with a very shy, somewhat awkward character. But she lands the part of her dream, since...she's pretty much obsessed with the story as well. From there on we have the book playing out with mysterious threats and murders from their own Phantom as well as a love triangle with her co-stars, the actors who play Raoul and Phantom ironically.

It's quite obvious who Becca is drawn to from the start so I found it a little annoying that she doesn't just stand up for herself. But then, of course, all romance needs a little hesitation to make things interesting. Honestly, Justyn has not competition with Tom. :D He's the best, and coolest even if he is kinda Gothic. :D And he can sing.

I liked Laura's writing. It was clear and to the point most of the time. But I found there were a couple moments when it was just a little too-descriptive. Like the sunset or the colors of a storm. Then there were times I wanted some description. In regards to character development and romantic relationships. But it wasn't botched. It was still a very enjoyable and smooth read for the most part. One thing I found interesting is that the play is never really specifically called Phantom of the Opera. Most of the time it's called Phantom. And I didn't really recognize any of the lyrics in the book! Probably because I only know the main songs though and she didn't pull from them. But I did love how the music was fit in.

Aside a few cheesy moments, I could connect well and I enjoyed this thrilling tale of the Phantom! I'd suggest this for fans of the story.

Content: Mild
(Some language and a bit of innuendo. A gay character/kiss. Kissing.)
3.5 Stars

Do you like the story of the Phantom? Have you read the book? Seen the play? Would you like to? Do you want to read this? I'd love to hear any thoughts you have! Happy Wednesday!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing my book on your blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The reason you didn't recognize the lyrics is because I had to write my own words. It would have been a copyright violation to use the ones from the Andrew Lloyd Weber play. I tried to write them in a way that mirrored the real musical without crossing any lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAAH. I understand now. Why didn't I think of that? Lol. They were still pretty though!!

      Delete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews