Friday, January 4, 2013
The Sweetest Spell
by Suzanne Selfors
Published: 8.21.12 by Walker
Pages: 416

Emmeline Thistle, a dirt-scratcher's daughter, has escaped death twice-first, on the night she was born, and second, on the day her entire village was swept away by flood. Left with nothing and no one, Emmeline discovers her rare and mysterious ability-she can churn milk into chocolate, a delicacy more precious than gold.

Suddenly, the most unwanted girl in Anglund finds herself desired by all. But Emmeline only wants one-Owen Oak, a dairyman's son, whose slow smiles and lingering glances once tempted her to believe she might someday be loved for herself. But others will stop at nothing to use her gift for their own gains-no matter what the cost to Emmeline. 
Inky's Blurbings:
This was the book I picked for my Random Read in December. Honestly, it was just another fluffy fairy-tale reads to me. Maybe I've read a few too many lately and they're just mushing in my brain. Maybe I'm losing my appetite for them. I don't know what it was but this book just didn't hit the bar for me.

For one thing, it cracked me up to no end that the premise and all the problems that ensue were over chocolate. That they were SO SERIOUS about it. Okay, maybe I kinda take chocolate a little too much for granted. Maybe I could never ever even being to imagine what it would be like not to have chocolate. So maybe I'm biased, but what can I say? It was a good laugh.

But in all seriousness, beyond the chocolate, but plot wasn't that interesting. It was just your typical adventure book, oh no she's captured! Oh yay the hot prince has to go rescue her! Oh they keep just missing each other! OOOOH! Yeah lots of O's. I mean I dunno, it was cute, but it felt like a drag most of the time. By 150 pages I was skimming to finish the last 250. I just didn't care anymore. It's not like I hated it...just..no. Nothing held my interest. The only reason I finished was because I've DNFed WAY to many books lately, and this was my Random Read.

Emma was okay. She was a nice narrator but nothing extraordinaire. And I'm all about the extraordinaire. I didn't feel like I could connect to her. She was just telling the story and yes going through things and falling in love but just No. Sorry Emma. Give me backbone. Give me yourself. Maybe a little insight into who you are? Oh you don't want to? Okay then, thanks for your time.

How do I even being to talk about the romance...? It was like this: So, this girl who's like the lowest of the low moves into town. The guy notices her and starts to get attracted, so does she. Then BOOM something bad happens and they are separated  OH NO! However, as soon as that happens the next time they think about each other is all like OH MY GOSH I LOVE HIM/HER. No, That doesn't work! They hardly HAD a relationship. And then at the end it's all like wishy-washy-cheese business. No chocolate at all in the romance. Sure Owen was cute I guess, but this one just didn't work for me.

So, what have we learned? This book fell short in pretty much nearly aspect. I didn't hate the book I just didn't care or didn't connect or feel like it was exceptionally unique. It was the same with the other book of Suzanne's that I read. I'm just not feeling you girl. I'm glad other people can enjoy your stuff, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be reading one again. Ah well, at least I can go dig into some chocolate to make up for the loss.

Content: Mild
(a few instances of mild language. kissing)
2 stars

So, anything though provoking you want to add? Did you discover the secrets of the universe while you listened to my rambles? Do you want to read this one? Did you like it better? Spill your guts to me (figuratively of course)! XOXO,

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it, but I think I will love it. Fairytales are my favorite thing to read about, so this book is more than welcome :D I think I will be using it for my fairytale challenge. Nice review though.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I like these cute little reads, but when they get too fluffy, I usually step away. It's pretty strange, I have started DNFing books. I never did that before. But ,now , over the course of one year, I have 7 DNFed books. Too bad. But most of them are classics and fairy tales
    GREAT review, Hannah
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL it does sound pretty funny that they got so worked up over chocolate. :D I mean chocolate is deliciously amazing, but it's still pretty funny.

    It sucks you didn't enjoy it more. :( It sounds like the romance was pretty 'meh'.. that immediately loses my interest in it. iINEED ME AN EPIC ROMANCE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is pretty, but I think I'll steer clear of this one. The summary sounds ridiculous, I despise instalove, and I have a VERY short attention span. I'm not even going to add this one >.<

    ReplyDelete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews