Tuesday, June 25, 2013
The Elite
by Kierra Cass
Published: 4.23.13
Pages: 323
Source: Library

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.

WARNING: There will be spoilers. I can't write this review without them.

To be honest, I have dreaded writing this review in so many ways. I've seen a lot of the blurb about this book, and while it didn't make me any less excited to read the book, it made me scared of what I'd think and how I'd come out of it feeling. I still don't know what I think. So forewarning, this review is probably gonna be incoherent as I try to sort out what I think. Commence rambles.

There is only one illogical thing that sticks out to me as I read this book. Now, there are rebels right? And a few times throughout the book, they come attack and they[the royal family and the Elite] have to run to these hideouts so that they'll be safe. Well apparently they get into the castle and the grounds pretty easily. There are at least three attacks in this book. Soo, if that's the case, then why the heck don't they guard better?! If this is a threat, do something! Build a wall or a gate around the castle for crying out loud! Post more guards OUTSIDE, I don't know! But it makes no sense to the logical side of my brain how they didn't do anything. Any. Thing.

But that said? Let's ignore logic and talk about my feels. The romance. WAAAH the romance. I don't even know who I am anymore. The foundation is built and now Kiera gets to have fun and play it and confuse us. Curse writing fun that kills readers! Maxon is still swoony, but then their relationship gets all confusing and I was like MAAAXON. Stop being a stupid teenage boy! I know you have a right to be a hormonal guy, but can't you be perfect all the time? Seriously? *headdesk* I mean there were totally some times when Maxon did some stupid things I didn't think capable of him. Let's refer back to the "Maxon being a teenage guy" bit. BUT STILLLL. The relationship between A and M was just unraveling and confusing to my heart and I just wanted a break from it all! I still don't know what to think of him[being Maxon]. I really hope he makes up for it in book three. I want the REAL Maxon back.

And then there's Aspen. I never liked the guy, but now I don't even know which boy will get her. Do you know how much this infuriates me?! I mean he obviously has his perks. I won't deny that. But COME ON. Can't we make Maxon good one this book instead of Aspen? Cuz that's what Kiera is totally doing here. Maxon is the swoony face to make Aspen's jerkiness look uber bad in book one. Now in book two, Aspen is the hero to make Maxon's dumbness look worse. I seriously don't even know what to expect from The One anymore.

America has totally grown in this book. We see a lot more of her rash and honest side. She stands up for things she believes in and has some pretty dang great moments. But one thing I didn't like about her this book? SHE CRIED SO FREAKING MUCH. Sure we got lots of her verbal kick-butt, but when *cue relationship feels* emotional drama showed up and affected her in a sad way, too often I felt we were rushing back to her room to sob on the bed. Get a GRIP girl. After the third time I was just getting annoying. Put your strong will into your emotional life will ya? Fight for him as much as you fight for your beliefs. But despite these sob sessions, she really does grow as a character and I'm very eager to see what she's up for in book three.

Bringing me to my next bit of brain vomit. Along with our reels we have quite the buildup of the society that so many people criticized in book one. We get more history, and we see the tensions and problems of the current society That's where A's kick-buttness comes in. HOWEVER, I feel like Kiera could be taking this in so many ways, that I'm worried what it will mean for book three. I loved all the insight and how it was inserted to give us breaks from the horribly wonderful emotional feels, and yet so much is built up that I feel like what's needed is an epic smack-down. Which I'm not sure Kiera can deliver. Maybe I'm feeling hopeless right now, because I don't even know if my boy Maxon will win America anymore. But I expect serious greatness from The One.

*takes deep breath* Wow. I'm going to shut up now. You're read my rantings. My worries, fears and likes. I really did love this book. I flew through it and sucked it up and just eep! It filled that little place in my heart for guilty pleasure books that needed filling. Now I just get the after-feels and trauma of wondering and analyzing and freaking out to death. If I don't make it till The One, please inscribe the following on my tombstone; "Maxon? If America won't take you, I'll see you at the pearly gates."

Content: Milderate
[kissing, a couple mild language instances, some light innuendo]
4.5 Stars
I  have nothing more to say! I leave it up to you to spam your thoughts. Let's talk Maxon The Elite!


0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews