Sunday, June 30, 2013
Boundless
by Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #3
Source:  Sarah @ The Book Life. Thanks girl!
Published: 1.22.13  
Pages: 438


The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal. In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

Cheese and Sprinkles. This book blew me away. I read this in nearly a day, completely riveted to the story and characters that I've always loved. And when the book drew to a close I wanted to laugh and cry so much but I was sitting in a very public place so I couldn't. BUT ALL THE FEELS WERE THERE. And they were worth every second. I don't know what magic touch Cynthia Hand used, but I am forever in love with this trilogy.

I don't even know where to begin. There will be SPOILERS, but they will be  in green. I can't NOT talk about this without them, but I'm going to leave it slightly spoiler-free for the rest of you that haven't read this book yet. I was able to keep myself away from spoilers until I read it, and it made this book so much more WORTH IT. So here we go.

Clara is one kick-butt girl if I ever saw one. She's brave and strong and determined. Her loyalty and willingness to fight for the people she loves is just amazing. And it takes her far in this final book. Being inside her head was just so great. She was incredibly strong, and then to see her weakness and struggles collide with that it just WAAH. It's humane and real and it just clicked. Clara was so much fun and her always-present wit made for snark and wit to lighten up the book.

Though compare Clara to some of the other characters? She's like a rock in a hurricane. My heart was so torn for Angela and Jeffrey. I've always loved those two and they go through hell in this book. Pretty literally too. I wanted to hug them so much and at the same time tell them to shape up and realize what's right in from of them. But they had to learn and grow and it was just heart-wrenching to watch. Like I seriously didn't expect Angela getting pregnant. But then we get to meet Web and you see how well it fits into the story and just WAAH. I was so shocked and it worked. And just ANGELA. When she's in hell and they find her. *sobs* She's been through the washing machine and you can't help but love the girl, despite some of her choices. AND JEFFREY. He's so lost after some of the happenings in Hallowed and again, watching Clara deal with him straying was hard. He's so great and I'm glad he returns to himself. They both find redemption and makes the had journey worth it.

Now, I've never really been into Angel books. Besides this book, I've only really read Hush, Hush, and I honestly didn't like those very well. So maybe I'm too quick to judge before reading more in the genre. But anyway, the angel aspect of this book fascinated me from the beginning. I loved the idea of having a purpose and all that scha-bang.Sure some parts are similar, with the fallen, and the pure but there things that weren't and it's neat to read. For instance, the congregation. I actually really liked how they have a community and they work together. Like this whole separate family. And the whole degrees of angel-blood. It's kinda fascinating.

I've mentioned before that I love books with nerdy cool things that make me smile and geek out. This book had one aspect that made me so excited. The majority of this book takes place in WHAT STATE? California! And like right in my area too! How often does that happen? Like NEVER. It was so cool, even though I'm not in Mountain View, to read about Stanford and places I've vaguely heard of. I know these places and she's IN MY AREA. It just made me so freaking happy. I grew up at Stanford and even though I don't remember it...eep! So cool. Like I said, nerdy cool things.  I bet you the next time I'm in that area, or whatever, I'm gonna be all "CLARA WALKED HERE."

This book twisted and turned and there were so many surprises that well, surprised me. Unless something is really obvious I can never guess the end of books, and this one just WAAH. All throughout I'd be gasping or yelling at my book. Quite out loud too. Ask my cousin. I don't even know how to describe. I just felt so invested and in with the characters that this story surprised and wowed me until the end. And the pacing of the book added to that. It moves well balancing quiet and loud, with revelations and heartache spread evenly. Nothing felt rushed or too soon like some books I've read. It just worked. Yep. good job Mrs. Hand.

I'm pretty sure I've covered everything but the ending and the romance. This book obviously has a triangle and with a conclusion...there's conclusion. I can't say anything about this without spoiling, so I'm sorry. I will leave you now.

If you know anything about my and my relationship with these books, you will know that I am a total Sucker for Tucker. Ha, I have wanted to say that for a LONG time. I liked Christian at the beginning but then when Tucker comes in to shine, he stole my heart....and never let it go. And even in Hallowed when I know so many people went to Team Christian, I remained on Tucker's side. The swanky cowboy for me ya'll! And let's just say, with that ending in Hallowed, I was super nervous about how it would all play out. And this book just had to TOY with me to no end. Christian, Tucker, Christian, DON'T BE STUPID AND THROW IT ALL AWAY CLARA, Christian, Tucker? Christian...TUCKER! If you read the book you know that Tucker wins. But I was super-freaking worried there in that second where her died and they were in heaven... *BURSTS INTO TEARS*..and then it ends and my heart is happy and so sad and just exploding in feels.  But it was a joy and I'm so happy with the end. Don't get me wrong though. I don't hate Christian. I do love the guy and tt was heartbreaking to see him come to terms with my favorite couple. The relationship that he has with Clara is so lovely and they are perfect for each other, but not in that way. Maybe logically it makes sense for them to be together, but Tucker just...HE'S JUST TUCKER OKAY?! He's her Tuck and she's his Carrots! It's just so beautiful! *sigh* I don't know what else to say.The ending fit, and I can't complain at all. 

I just love these characters so much and I can't believe there won't be another year of me dying for more of them. But they have a lovely journey and I'm so glad I can re-read my favorite moments whenever I want. I also hope I've been able to get my point across, seeing as how many sentences ending in unreadable exclamations. But that's what this book did to me, and I hope this book does it to you. I can't spam this enough. I fell in love in Unearthly and it didn't stop in Hallowed or Boundless. If you haven't read them yet, get on that. Even if you aren't the biggest angel fan like me. They stole my heart, and I hope they steal yours. I think I should stop gushing praise on this book. But seriously. I loved it to pieces. Yeah, I'll shut up now but I CAN'T. I feel like once I post this review..I'm done. I finished a trilogy that I love and all the feels and just....merp.

So goodbye Clara and gang! You've been so much fun to hang with! Unfortunately, I need to go get a life. So I'll see you later. Oh, and Clara? Have a good one.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zb96oy2I1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Content: Mild
[a couple instances of mild language. some light innuendo and kisses.]

Well, there you have it. My feeling on the page. I can't say anything else, so talk to me peeps. I'm gonna go into a corner and cry. XOXOXO,





PS. Happy Birthday Minky! I love ya!

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews