Friday, November 2, 2012
The Hallowed Ones
by Laura Bickle
Published: 9.25.12 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pages: 320
Goodreads / Purchase
Katie is on the verge of her Rumspringa, the time in Amish life when teenagers can get a taste of the real world. But the real world comes to her in this dystopian tale with a philosophical bent. Rumors of massive unrest on the “Outside” abound. Something murderous is out there. Amish elders make a rule: No one goes outside, and no outsiders come in. But when Katie finds a gravely injured young man, she can’t leave him to die. She smuggles him into her family’s barn—at what cost to her community? 

Inky's Blurbings:
This was my Random Read for the month of October and needless to say, it was perfect. I'd heard some great reviews about how scary it was, and having a full on Halloween mood I was set to go. I came out of it with a few issues, but overall this book was very interesting story and take on a kind of apocalypse.

For one thing this book was not  as creepy as I would have anticipated. Sure, there were vampires, which had more zombie like traits, hence my nick-name ZOMPIRE, but they weren't as prominent as I would have thought. Lol, there was even one scene that made me think so much of Jurassic Park Raptors. Maybe they should be Rompires. At the end it didn't feel like that the Vampire aspect of the book had resolved enough and that it was left hanging for book two. *gag* But there were still a few chill moments for me, so it wasn't a loss.

I thought the Amish community was really interesting. I've never know much about them, but I feel like this could be an accurately portrayed look at them. It was like Amish was more a religion than a lifestyle. I really liked it. Thumbs up for that.

This book seemed more about Katie changing from the ways of her Amish society as the world around them changes. It was the more prominent plot versus the Vampires. I was really impressed how well this was carried over. It wasn't an overnight change and it felt very realistic to me. So I'd have to say that I like Katies character for the most part. At the end she got a little dull and stupid I guess? I don't know. She just dropped off a cliff, and I wasn't about to jump after her.

I wasn't sure the romance, if that's what it is, worked for me as I would have liked it too. At first it felt like a companionship, because you aren't sure where things are going with her other guy friend. Then that takes a serious twist (Darn, I liked Eli.) and things with Alex change. Really fast. Half of it felt like she was trying to disobey on purpose, some of it was attraction and some of it was kinda like stupidity.

Everything just rushed at the end confusing me to heck. But that makes it sound like a dump. It wasn't....It was...it wasn't. :D I was a little crazy but it was also a very interesting ending that left off in a good way for the next book. I will probably be interested to see what happens but I won't be hopping mad. :D Haha. So it was a good read that I enjoyed, but I had some problems.

Content: Moderate
(Some language throughout - Sh**, Deity, Da**, He**, As*.Innuendo. A few kisses, they fall asleep next too each other, implied sex.)
3.5 Awesome Beans
(So we have a cool plot idea and fun name, but a few key tastes were missing.)


------------------------------------------------

{This Girl Reads}
This review is for the week-long meme Haunted Week. I failed and am posting late! Haha. Don't miss my other stops on this hop.

Thoughts anyone? Excited to read this? Have you read it? Like it better or worse than me? I'd love to hear! XOXO,




0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews