Sunday, February 26, 2012

Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier

Rating: 5 Stars
Source: Library
Published: 1/3/07
Publisher: Knopf
Pages: 407

Summary: High in the Transylvanian woods, at the castle Piscul Draculi, live five daughters and their doting father. It's an idyllic life for Jena, the second eldest, who spends her time exploring the mysterious forest with her constant companion, a most unusual frog. But best by far is the castle's hidden portal, known only to the sisters. Every Full Moon, they alone can pass through it into the enchanted world of the Other Kingdom. There they dance through the night with the fey creatures of this magical realm. 

But their peace is shattered when Father falls ill and must go to the southern parts to recover, for that is when cousin Cezar arrives. Though he's there to help the girls survive the brutal winter, Jena suspects he has darker motives in store. Meanwhile, Jena's sister has fallen in love with a dangerous creature of the Other Kingdom--an impossible union it's up to Jena to stop. When Cezar's grip of power begins to tighten, at stake is everything Jena loves: her home, her family, and the Other Kingdom she has come to cherish. To save her world, Jena will be tested in ways she can't imagine--tests of trust, strength, and true love.

Rad Review: Wow this book was amazing. Juliet Marillier has made a masterpiece. A re-read book.It's a retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses", but it's not! It's originality is so obvious it's practically it's own fairy tale.  Marillier crafted this book well. The writing was well done and I could really get into Jena's head! I felt with her. Something I love in a novel. 

Her characters were well created and developed. Gogu totally rocks. I mean a talking frog for a sidekick...epic! How better could it get?! The romance aspect of the story was another great asset to this book. I don't like books that are oozing with romance. I do like some romance driven books, but not love packed. So this book fed it to you drop by drop, spoonful by spoonful in a satisfying way that came to a great conclusion with out knocking your head off with romance.

One thing that was really neat was that it was set in Transylvania. What an awesome setting. One of the great twists of this book. It's a riveting novel, with some good lessons in there as well. I loved all the girls. The fact that there are 5 instead of 12 was a bit of a welcome change. Sometimes 12 is just to much to keep up with! But with 5 I could really understand the sisters more. The only thing I didn't like about this book was......that it ended. And that is saying something.

Content: Clean Read! 

Very engaging and well worth the read. It will not be time wasted. That I assure you. There is a sequel: Cybele's Secret.

1 comment:

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews