Thursday, April 5, 2012
Shifting by Bethany Wiggins

Published: 9.27.11
Publisher: Walker & Company
Pages: 353
Rating: 5 Stars

SummaryAfter bouncing from foster home to foster home, Magdalene Mae is transferred to what should be her last foster home in the tiny town of Silver City, New Mexico. Now that she's eighteen and has only a year left in high school, she's determined to stay out of trouble and just be normal. Agreeing to go to the prom with Bridger O'Connell is a good first step. Fitting in has never been her strong suit, but it's not for the reasons most people would expect-it all has to do with the deep secret that she is a shape shifter. But even in her new home danger lurks, waiting in the shadows to pounce. They are the Skinwalkers of Navajo legend, who have traded their souls to become the animal whose skin they wear-and Maggie is their next target. 


The Book In 3 Words: Engaging, Thrilling, Romantic


Review: This was a very cool novel and I loved reading it. It was well written and easily enjoyable. It pulls you in as you follow Maggie's story. One of the things I thought was really great was how some Navajo legends (etc) were woven into the novel. It made for a really unique setting. I also really loved how Maggie's background with foster care and the families she lived with played into the novel even though we don't experience any of it with her except in memories. It created all that emotional trauma that she has to deal with. Like getting to attached. It was well done. 

At first I wanted the whole, main conflict to be more a part of the story for the beginning. It seemed like a lot of the plot was Maggie adjusting, her struggles at school and Bridger. But it all played out so well I forgave those plot flaws. So I loved it all. It was great. I wish this was a series, but I am resolved and satisfied by how it ended. 


Content: Mild
((It was really clean except for maybe one plot instance. A result of the shifting Maggie does is that she is naked when she returns to human form. To prove who she is she has to return to human form in the presence of Bridger. She's naked for a few moments until he helps her get clothes on. That's it, but I don't see it as sexual in nature. Also not that there are kisses, some with fingers twining and etc. Nothing Over-Passionate))

Highly Recommended!

2 comments:

  1. Navajo legends!? Interesting! I haven't read this but I heard good things about it I'm def. intrigued by the premise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, It's really unique and well done.

    ReplyDelete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews