Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Night School
by C. J. Daughtery
Published: May 21, 2013
Pages: 400

Allie's world is falling apart. She hates her school. Her brother has run away. And she's just been arrested.
Again.
Now her parents are sending her away to a boarding school where she doesn't know a soul. But instead of hating her new school, Allie finds she's happy there. She's making friends. And then there's Sylvain, a suave French student who openly flirts with her. And Carter, the brooding loner who seems to have her back. Soon, though, Allie discovers Cimmeria Academy is no ordinary school. Nothing there is as it seems. And her new friends are hiding dangerous secrets.
*thanks to Harper for providing a copy for review*  
I have no idea where to start with this book. I liked it, but I didn't, ya know? There was some really great parts of the book, but there were also things that tended to tick me off. But first, let me just say, I heart the cover. The colors, the font, the way it blends to create a stunning illusion. It gives a very good idea of the world. So we'll start there.

This is another boarding school story. Big old mansion. Lots of secrets. Lots of people. Ooooh, and hot boys. Not to mention, a super epicly huge library. Can't have a boarding school without that, now can we. Honestly though, in regards to the structure of the school, there isn't much that sets it apart of any of the others you read about. It's surround by dark scary woods...yahda yah...and creepy things happen here. Boom. We are now set up for our story.


Before going on to the characters and the like, I wanted to touch on the Night School itself. In essence it's a special training program for the elite of the school. That's all I will say. It was interesting, that's for sure, but also kinda typical. I mean yes, the purposes are always different, but the structure of the societies and how it works? Pretty basic stuff here. So our setting and title plot are set up to be pretty basic, although somewhat interesting.

But it's when you hit the characters that it gets really sticky. Oh Allie, I wanted to like you more. I really did. But nope. You had to turn all pre-teen on me. A) You are predictble. B) Get a backbone more. You have a few key defining moments when you do shine, but take some action a little more. Show us your voice. Don't wait for it to come to you. And C) Stop being so ignorant. Sure, you can produce lots of homework, but this shocking answer STARING YOU IN THE FACE. Yes it's predictable, so do you really need to ask "BUT HOW/WHY/WHAT?!" You need someone to tell you the answer/problem before you see it? Cuz, I saw it like five pages ago.

*sigh* So Allie didn't work out the best for me. She had some redeeming qualities and legit moments but I still wonder how the two most eligible bachelors at the school fell in love with you. Someone please explain this mystery. I'm very curious. First we have Sylvain, the one everyone wants, who naturally just is drawn to her and vice versa. Yeah. Me no like him. I never liked him. Creepy jerk. *shivers* But on the other hand, there is Carter, pompous guy turned swoony face. And yet, the romance...? Meh. HOW CARTER. But whatever. The kissing scenes were good at least.

Now while this book is set in a very cliched setting, and we have some flawed characters, we do get some pretty thrilling scenes. I was caught up in  it at some parts. So I think that C.J. did a good job of that. But then we have the fact that it also seems to drag out a little. We glean strands of information as we go, but it doesn't really hit till less than a hundred pages in. Then boom HOLLA VILLAIN and boom! It is over. It has one of those "I-went-unconcious-and-when-I-woke-it-was-all-better" kind of ending. Ugh. I hate those. We get a lot of action and then BOOM. She is out. *sigh* Thanks for that.

I wanted to like this more. I really did. And while it did keep me interested and kinda swoony, there wasn't enough backbone in this story to push it up and beyond the ordinary. So, while a pleasant, and thrilling read, I can't say this is something I'd highly recommend.

Content: Milderate
[Some language scattered throughout including a couple uses of the F bomb. Some innuendo and kissing scenes. One aggressive scene.]
3 Stars

But what about you? This book is out today, so now you can find out for yourself. I tend to rant alot! Do you share the same feelings? If you read the book, do you think you would? Tell me what you think! XOXO,








0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews