Wednesday, May 29, 2013
The Program
by Suzanne Young
Pages: 408
Published: 4.30.13
In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.  Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories. Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them
My feels you guys. THIS BOOK KILLED MY FEELS. Literally. I don't even know where to start with the gushing. So maybe a gif to try and explain it? Object lesson number one:
I haven't read Suzanne's previous duology, being uninterested in the subject line and all, but when I saw the premise behind this, and the first round of glowing reviews, I knew I had to give it a shot. And boy this book did it not disappoint. It's a wild ride for the characters and we're sucked it right along with it. 

This book could be classified as a Dystopia, but it's really not. This book doesn't have a very Dystopian feel to it at all. The main offensive issue in this book The Program, which is more institution than government. This book reminded me of Delirium in a way. We've got this disease that can be pretty deadly, and there is cure for it. In this case though, it's not love. It's depression. I was intrigued by this concept. It felt very real and honest, and something that could in all logicality be a happening in the future of the world. So while, this topic, is a hard one, it's written about very well, without underplaying it, or over-dramatizing it, I felt. Being human, it's very easy to connect with the aspect and understand it. To know why it's so deadly, and yet so infectious. Very well played and plotted. 

So while building this problematic disease, on top of that Suzanne manages to build an incredible romance. I can't even talk about it without the feels coming right back down on me. 
It's absolutely astounding how quickly the romance caught ahold of me, pulling me down into the abyss of emotional fangirl. It's a romance that doesn't begin in the book. It's an already steady relationship, that we are pulled into, and get to watch it as it's begun the testing period, and it's development. These kinds of romances and beautiful and yet, difficult to portray sometimes. Getting into the romance right off the bat and feeling real isn't the easiest. But it is done with such grace and skill that boom, ALL THE FEELS. And what equally astounded me was how invested I was in the story and the romance by the 30% mark, when the story takes another twist that nearly kills you. 

Ugh. It's agonizing as a reader, and yet so beautiful. But what amazes me more was how she was able to then rebuild my feels in a NEW direction, before taking both sides of my fangirly heart and throwing me for a spin. Gah. I'm already over thinking this, stop making me doubt! It's painful, really.
My poor heart was so conflicted. Thankfully, you are not left in a terrible gaping vortex of confusion. Things take one direction, one I was very happy to take and the road smooths out. But GAH. The first half of this book...It's like a sledgehammer on your heart. 

Moving on, the rest of the book is almost antagonizing to read though, because it's almost a repeat. It's pretty obvious why and it was kind of hard to watch her going through while you know everything and you're like COME ON!! NO! YOU MISSED THAT CLUE! HOW YOU COULD YOU NOT SEE THAT? Baaah. But the establishment and deeper understanding that comes, adds layers, despite this repetitious feel. It leaves off in a very climatic place, leaving room for plenty of things to happen in book two. ALTHOUGH I'm going to admit, that it suffers from ENDING OF FIRST BOOK SYNDROM. I made this up. Every stinking Dystopia or whatever, ends this way (mild spoiler): "Ack! I've learned things. I'm wanted! Must run to the rebels!" So yeah. It's got that feel to it, but it's not a terrible ending at all. I quite enjoyed the direction it took, and now I'm quite excited to see where things will go in book two.

So..I really liked this book! It pulled at my feels so much, kept me riveted to my kindle, and ultimately wishing the book hadn't ended. Suzanne's writing style was fabulous, and I loved the aspects of the world that she has created. Thumbs up to this book. I highly recommend it to fans of Delirium, or anyone looking for a romance full of feels. 

Content: Moderate
[some language throughout in quite a bit of b***s*** and other explatives. Innuendo, mild aggressiveness, implied sex.]
And there you have it. My spazz and all that jazz. Now it's your turn to talk to me! Thoughts? Have you read? Do you WANT to read? Think you'll like it? Happy Wednesday! 


0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews