Thursday, August 16, 2012
Author: Robin LaFevers
Published: 4.3.12 by Houghton Mifflin
Pages: 549
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf? Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?
add it on goodreads
Inky's Blurbings:
I heard so much good blurb about this book, and with the crazy awesome premise and cover I bought it. No second thoughts. But honestly before I started it, I wasn't sure what I would think of Assassin Nuns....serving the god of Death. Don't get me wrong I was totally hooked by the idea of Assasin Nuns and all that, I was just a little unsure. Okay so maybe I had like itty-bitty doubts. 

Boy, did this book deliver! Robin is a genius! Wow. I absolutely loved the writing and the way that you are drawn into Ismae's voice and her story. It was seriously enchanting. Beautiful writing. And how she planted it in a rich (actual) historic backdrop with a medieval atmosphere and intrigue, it was awesome. Everything about the setting she choose, England (always good with me) to the characters, Anne the Duchess of Brittany was just fabulous. A++!

Ismae was a wonderful heroine. Her voice was clear and easy to connect with. I honestly don't have much to say about her, other than the above! One of the biggest aspects in this book is the romance relationship. Duval, is the main male protagonist and totally hot. Wow. So that adds quite a bit of spice to the romantic edge. But what I also love is that this book is not insta-love or insta-attraction/interest! It's insta-dislike! Those would have to be one of my favorite kinds of romances because development and trust has to happen to the two characters before they can reach love.

This was SO well portrayed in the book. It slowly developed and was real, and not fake. Wow. Just wow. I've heard the author say that she calls her book an Epic Romance. But sometimes it felt a little too much on the romance side. Hence the content. 

Content: Moderate-Heavy
(Quite a few historical deity references throughout.  Plenty of innuendo from members in the nunnery (those associated with womanly arts) as well as out in the world. Women were quite low-cut dresses. A few steamy and suggestive scenes. Overall a little much.)

Because I felt the content was a little to much for my liking but I really liked the story and everything else, I'm giving this book........
4.5 Stars

Have you read Grave Mercy? Thoughts? TNT,

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this book-it definitely deserves all the praise it is getting!

    ReplyDelete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

Total Pageviews