Thursday, December 13, 2012
The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg
Published: 2.21.12
Pages: 375
GOODREADS - PURCHASE
Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. 

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after.  

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?
Inky's Blurbings
It's not normal if a book almost makes me cry. It's even more rare if a book makes me cry, let alone bawl. So I'm always shocked and impressed and in love with the books that do, or at least but me on a high-feeling kick. This book did that. I didn't cry, perse, but the first time I read the first chapter (I had to put it on hold, for review books) I almost bawled. THE.FIRST. CHAPTER. It's was incredible how well Jess was able to take the premise and concept behind this book, and transform it into an emotionally stunning ride. Because that is exactly what this is.

One thing I absolutely LOVED was how realistic the feelings and situations that Brie goes through where. Not necessarily in terms of, "Oh crap. I died," but more like, dealing with the loses, the love, the betrayal, and all the feelings that come through trials. I mean, WOW. Yes, she's dead, and NO, I can't relate to that (thank goodness!), all those other feelings just hit me. I mean wow. She has some intense struggles and just watching her go through them was one epic ride.This was an emotional adventure, versus a trip across the Afterlife.


Speaking of which, I really liked the take that we get on it. These kinds of books are always so different and unique in seeing the different ways that people portray things like this. I loved the whole aspect of having to overcome grief, because honestly, if I died right now, I think I'd be pretty freaked out, and just full of these feelings that would take awhile to go away. That added a whole new level to the book and it was interesting to watch Brie struggle through each one. The conclusions and everything was just real. Plus, with a hot dead guy helping her...you know it adds flavor.


Seriously? Patrick is hot. I loveth him. He's hilariously funny, adding that wit and laugh that you need in a book like this, while at the same time adding a serious and darker meaning to the book. Which I will not even try to explain, because then this would turn into a spoiler review. But let me just say that I loved him so so so much. He was exciting and just watching their relationship was like everything you want to see in one. Including the kissing. Oh yes.

I'm so freaking impressed with how well Jess was able to do this book. The writing was fantastic, smoothly flowing, poetic in the right places, witty, intense, emotional, and romantic. And she even had the great forethought to write about a single character that might have just made my day: HAMLOAF.
I know, he's a dog, but seriously? HAMLOAF. I was telling my friend about how adorable and just super fun he was, and how I totally loved him. She laughed. I laughed. I mean he's a dog. But still. It was just the right element needed to give the book.....a sparkle. HAMLOAF. *awkward bookish fangirling*

Anyway, I adored this book. I sucked it all up and just reveled in this fantastic read. It has for sure boosted my contemporary kick, so if you know of any good ones......let me know.

Content: Milderate
(Language throughout-Deity,Da**,He**,A**, Sh**(x3). Some innuendo and mentions of doing "IT".)
5 Stars
Hot-diggity this book rocked my socks off. LIT-ER-ALL-EE. Run to the bookstore right now and indulge yourself in some dessert.)

So what do you think? Do you enjoy tear-jerker contemporary? Have you read this one? Did you love this one as much as I did? Did you like it less? Splurge to me peeps! XOXO,


3 comments:

  1. Wow, this book sounds crazy and emotional and awesome! And I love that the dog was such a great character! That's awesome lol. I'll definitely read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. You must read this book. It totally seems right up your ALLEY!

      Delete
  2. Patrick is cute and all, but I am totally Team Hamloaf :)

    ReplyDelete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews