Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Published: 8.28.12 by Balthazar + Bray
WOW this book has totally made it onto my All-Time Favorites. Ever since I featured this on Waiting-On-Wednesday I have been so Psyched for this book. Luckily this was a case where I wasn't disapointed!! What is the definition of the word Awesome-Sauce? Um how about Defiance! Okay, so you get it I LOVE THIS BOOK.
Let's take Rachel. First glance at the cover suggests that she has got some flare, and some fiery red hair. Both are true. Take a look at the synopsis and you'll see that she's been raised very different from the other girls in her society. This is also true. Basically she is a kick-butt kinda girl who's not afraid to think for herself or fight for her loyalties. Oh and did I mention she has a brain? I really loved how I connected with Rachel. She has this warrior-girl appearance and personality but at the same time it didn't drown out her feminine qualities. True, they aren't shown as much in this book but they were still there. Rock on Rachel!
Now we have......LOGAN! Eeeep! Holy Ballboden, Logan is H-O-T. And kick-butt and smart. Perfect for Rachel. He's the kinda guy who has these quiet, steady loyalties. He isn't always out there and forward, or impulsive but he finds his ways, oh yes he does, to show he cares about people/things. Honestly guys, after this book there is no way he could not have made it onto my Scarf of Awesomeness*. He's just......*squeak*...no words. Just read the book. THEY ARE SO GOOD/CUTE TOGETHER. Yay for heart-pounding-well-paced-rocking romance!
Baalboden. If you heard this word out on the street you might pass it off as gibberish. But in this world it's an important city, run by the villainous Commander Chase. Okay, well duh, he's the bad guy. He's going to be villainous. ;P He delivered. I think that the way CC (yes I know, you don't nickname bad guys) was protrayed gave a FAB look at his villainy as well as himself. However, I'm looking forward to learning more about him in book Two.
Speaking of villain, how about the Villain-Who-Doesn't-Realize-It's-A-Villain? The Cursed One. A huge black dragon-like creature, that lives in the ground.....and attacks anyone it finds outside the cities(unless you're super talented and don't move or make sound). I know it's weird to like Bad Animals, but I HEART the Cursed One!!!!! <3 Maybe it's because I don't know very much about the beast, where it came from, how it lives, what's going on with it. All I know is that, even though it's a prominent danger in the book it's was FREAK-TASTIC! I'm totally hoping we get to find out more about it in the next book.
Okay so, base established. I LOVE THIS BOOK. CJ is a fantastic debut author. Her writing is fun and engaging. I love some of her quirks, including Best/Worst Scenario train of thoughts from the characters. The story is kick-bomb and everything in it...AWESOME SAUCE. I totally recommend this book!
Content: Very Mild
(A couple uses of He**. Low cut dresses. Mild innuendo. Some kisses)
The Super Award!
(For books who deserve more than 5 Stars)
Have you read Defiance? Did you love it? Hate it? Do you want to read this? I'd love to hear your thoughts! Share your review! Happy Wednesday!
*Scarf of Awesomeness = My very rocking purple scarf named after EVERY worthy FICTIONAL guy I've ever crushed on in books. (More deets in the About Me page, which is under construction)
Powered by Blogger.
According to the FTC guidelines I am required to state that I receive NO monetary or physical compensation for my work here. All books received in exchange for HONEST REVIEWS, that are FREE OF CHARGE. I receive no monetary value from all content that is provided on Book Haven Extraordinaire, unless otherwise stated.
- TRAILER REVEAL : Timeless!
- Giveaway ALERT: S&L 1000 Followers!
- Review: Dearly Departed
- Book Haul of SUH-WEET-NESS!
- Books That Didn't Hook Me
- Review: Shadow and Bone
- Giveaway Alert!
- On Tour w/So Into You: Review + Giveaway
- "Hyperventilating" on Wednesday: Poison
- Review: Phantom
- Review: Erasing Time
- On Tour w/A Life in the Service: Guest Post + Give...
- Meet Mackenzie, Little Sister & Guest Reviewer!
- Book Hauling it via Vlog #2
- Giveaway Spotlight:Squeaky Books Birthday Bash
- Cover Reveal: Abandon (Posession#3)
- On Tour w/Redemption Series Pt. 1: Blurb + Giveway...
- Review: Defiance
- Hyperventilating on Wednesday: Dualed
- Giveaway Spotlight: Bookshelf Cleanup @ Bookish!
- Review: For Darkness Shows The Stars
- Blurb Reveal w/Timeless & Giveaway
- On Tour w/Demons: Interview + Giveaway
- Book Haul in VLOG style!
- On tour w/Dreamwalker: Blurb + Giveaway!
- Hyperventilating on Wednesday: Breathe
- Review: Hidden
- Books That Didn't Hook Me
- Back in Business + Random Fun
- On Tour w/Erin: Guest Post + Giveaway
- Weekend Haitus Notice
- "Hyperventilating" on Wednesday: Let The Sky Fall
- On Tour w/Witch Born pt.1: Chapter Link-up + Swag ...
- Reading Clean: One RAD Giveaway!!
- On Tour w/Phillip Overton: Guest Post + Giveaway
- Random Reads September Pick
- Giveaways Galore....
- ▼ September (37)