Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Published: 3.30.12 by Pagan Writers Press
I got a copy of this from the author and I was really excited. Phantom of the Opera has kind of taken over my life. So naturally I was very excited by the prospect of this Teen retelling of the classic tale. It was a very enjoyable read and I went through it in about a day.
We start off with the main character Becca, about to audition for Christine in her school's upcoming performance of Phantom of the Opera. Becca is that rare talent hidden in the body of a girl with a very shy, somewhat awkward character. But she lands the part of her dream, since...she's pretty much obsessed with the story as well. From there on we have the book playing out with mysterious threats and murders from their own Phantom as well as a love triangle with her co-stars, the actors who play Raoul and Phantom ironically.
It's quite obvious who Becca is drawn to from the start so I found it a little annoying that she doesn't just stand up for herself. But then, of course, all romance needs a little hesitation to make things interesting. Honestly, Justyn has not competition with Tom. :D He's the best, and coolest even if he is kinda Gothic. :D And he can sing.
I liked Laura's writing. It was clear and to the point most of the time. But I found there were a couple moments when it was just a little too-descriptive. Like the sunset or the colors of a storm. Then there were times I wanted some description. In regards to character development and romantic relationships. But it wasn't botched. It was still a very enjoyable and smooth read for the most part. One thing I found interesting is that the play is never really specifically called Phantom of the Opera. Most of the time it's called Phantom. And I didn't really recognize any of the lyrics in the book! Probably because I only know the main songs though and she didn't pull from them. But I did love how the music was fit in.
Aside a few cheesy moments, I could connect well and I enjoyed this thrilling tale of the Phantom! I'd suggest this for fans of the story.
(Some language and a bit of innuendo. A gay character/kiss. Kissing.)
Do you like the story of the Phantom? Have you read the book? Seen the play? Would you like to? Do you want to read this? I'd love to hear any thoughts you have! Happy Wednesday!
Powered by Blogger.
According to the FTC guidelines I am required to state that I receive NO monetary or physical compensation for my work here. All books received in exchange for HONEST REVIEWS, that are FREE OF CHARGE. I receive no monetary value from all content that is provided on Book Haven Extraordinaire, unless otherwise stated.
- TRAILER REVEAL : Timeless!
- Giveaway ALERT: S&L 1000 Followers!
- Review: Dearly Departed
- Book Haul of SUH-WEET-NESS!
- Books That Didn't Hook Me
- Review: Shadow and Bone
- Giveaway Alert!
- On Tour w/So Into You: Review + Giveaway
- "Hyperventilating" on Wednesday: Poison
- Review: Phantom
- Review: Erasing Time
- On Tour w/A Life in the Service: Guest Post + Give...
- Meet Mackenzie, Little Sister & Guest Reviewer!
- Book Hauling it via Vlog #2
- Giveaway Spotlight:Squeaky Books Birthday Bash
- Cover Reveal: Abandon (Posession#3)
- On Tour w/Redemption Series Pt. 1: Blurb + Giveway...
- Review: Defiance
- Hyperventilating on Wednesday: Dualed
- Giveaway Spotlight: Bookshelf Cleanup @ Bookish!
- Review: For Darkness Shows The Stars
- Blurb Reveal w/Timeless & Giveaway
- On Tour w/Demons: Interview + Giveaway
- Book Haul in VLOG style!
- On tour w/Dreamwalker: Blurb + Giveaway!
- Hyperventilating on Wednesday: Breathe
- Review: Hidden
- Books That Didn't Hook Me
- Back in Business + Random Fun
- On Tour w/Erin: Guest Post + Giveaway
- Weekend Haitus Notice
- "Hyperventilating" on Wednesday: Let The Sky Fall
- On Tour w/Witch Born pt.1: Chapter Link-up + Swag ...
- Reading Clean: One RAD Giveaway!!
- On Tour w/Phillip Overton: Guest Post + Giveaway
- Random Reads September Pick
- Giveaways Galore....
- ▼ September (37)