Monday, November 19, 2012
Origin by Jessica Khoury
Published: 9.4.12 by Razorbill
Pages: 394
GOODREADS / PURCHASE
Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Inky's Blurbings:
This book left me breathless. Literally. The first thing I start of when I opened this began this book was, "OH! It's like a modern-day sci-fi Rapunzel story!" I mean seriously, She stuck in this compound, has never been outside, knows like NOTHING about the outside world and when she meets a boy it all changes. Doesn't that scream Rapunzel to you? I totally don't know if that was intentional or just a coinky-dink, but I love it!

Pia was a very interesting charrie. She's in theis interesting predicament and she deals with it incredibly well. Oh and by the way her name sounds like PIE-UH. No it's not PEE-UH. That's just awkward.  CONFESSION: It took me a while to figure it out. :P Moving on, Pia had a lovely narrative voice. It was pretty, easy to follow the story through her eyes and get all the feelings and struggles she went through. Now she's not one of those kick-butt characters you never forget but she's got her own charm and she will always have a small place in my heart.

So. Naive, innocent Pia is trapped living in a Science Base called Little Cam. She doesn't know anything about the outside world and doesn't care too until.....there is a security flaw. And because of that darned, but awesome flaw she meets a boy. I. Heart. EIO. I mean I know people think there is instalove, and I will talk about that in a sec, but seriously. He's a tan Amazon, who runs around shirtless killing Anacondas.....*fans herself* Yes, Eio is pretty legit. He had a great history and he's perfect for Pia. There names are so cute together!

Okay so yes. Insta-love. I think this is the biggest complaint I've seen about this book. Sure, I can totally see where those complaints are coming from, but I'm going to have to disagree. Which is weird since I'm normally very annoyed at insta-love. But remember my analogy to Rapunzel? She has NEVER seen a teenage guy before, let along one hot boy like EIO. So. This is where I justify her attraction. Now I do think that by the end of the book some of the development was missing so I wasn't sure I was cool with them being all. "I love you." But I do love their romance.

EXCEPT, for one MAJOR tiny thing: They. Do. Not. Kiss. Sure, he kisses her cheek and her hand. That is not a romantic kiss. WHY WHY WHY? Please Please Please tell me this is a series. I will die if I found out there is no more. But I'm really scared because I haven't seen any news that it is. This book has so much potential for a sequel that I desperately hope more will come. For Pia and discovering herself and the romance and those bad guys- we hear about but never see. Let there be another book.

The plot was awesome as well. There were plenty of secrets and revelations to push the story along and combined with that romance it seemed like it was just fantastic! Honestly I have no complaints in this era. Applause to Jessica for a wonderful story.  But before I end this, stare at the cover for a sec. Isn't that GORGEOUS?! It's shiny and smooth in RL, but it's still pretty on the computer. I LOVE the forest and how it surrounds the stunningly white figure in the middle. Oooh, do you think it could Pia? And maybe just maybe, those leaves and trees represent the forest in the book and/or the scary dangerous world outside Little Cam? OHMIGOSH you guys! We just figured out the hidden meaning behind the cover. Peace. Out.

So yes. This book was a delight to read! It left me breathless. Gorgeous writing, and romance with a lovely story, it had everything I love about YA. *Applause, applause, ONCORE!* 

Content: Very Mild
(A few instances of mildlanguage - Deity-Da**-He**)
4.5 Stars

Thoughts? Have you read this? Did you like it? Were you less impressed? Do you want to read this? Are you in love with all the Breathless Reads so far?

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you read this book! I heard the author on a romance panel with other YA authors, and I assumed wrong about Origin. The author kept talking about how the love interest was hot and shirtless in the jungle so I assumed that the book would be full of making out and . . . more than making out. I'm glad to be wrong. I wish they kissed though. That's a complete bummer! I still think I'll read it and hope it'll be a series. Great review!

    Clean Teen Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I was saying PEE-UH in my head the whole time. Oops!

    I agree with a lot of your points, although I think the insta-love bothered me a bit more. And I agree about the kissing...how is that possible!! LOL. It bugged me that they hadn't even kissed and they were confessing their love.

    Anyway, it was still an enjoyable read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh Yay! Your review definitely made me wanna go pick this up right now and read it! I will be looking into it more in the future...hopefully soon I'll have the time to pick it up. I think the romance sounds amazing - I love a slow build romance, the ones that torment you till the very end! ;)

    Great review!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews