Monday, November 26, 2012
Something Strange And Deadly
by Susan Dennard
Published: 6.24.12 by HarperTeen
GOODREADS - PURCHASE
I went into this book expecting a novel, somewhat similar to Dearly Departed, in the whole Zombie-Steampunk factor. Let's just say, I came away from this book with a whole lot of different in it. It was a totally good different for that matter.
So. It's historical America, the time of debuts, corsets and courting. YUM. I mean..Fascinating! Haha, you don't eat corsets. Moving on. I really liked the portrayal that Susan gave of the society, but thinking back, I almost feel like some of it was just skimmed. We could have had a bit more into it. We got lots of looks at the exhibition and that was really fun, but I think something was missing. But then again, maybe since I've read a lot books with this area covered that I just wanted to dive into it more. BUT, nevertheless, Susan's writing and her historical accuracy were fabo. I had a good time reading it and it gave a very fun ride for historical lovers.
You know what makes this book totally rad? Z.O.M.B.I.E.S. Oh yes. This book is full of the Undead that have been rising. The question is WHO and WHY. I was really interested in this aspect and I honestly did not see that answer coming. And I totally thought the Zombies were really interesting to read about. However. I was a little confused about them and also this Spirit that comes into the book fairly soon. I didn't understand WHAT THE HECK the Spirit had to do with zombies? That was actually quite confusing. I was like....WHAT? And then as things progressed it got clearer and I accepted it, if a little weird and out of place. I did really like where the plot with this went. It was clever and different from the other zombie books I've read. Which is basically Dearly Departed. Yeah, I don't read a lot of zombies.
So then we have Eleanor, or Empress and Daniel lovingly calls her. Personally I DIG that nickname. It's legit. Haha. And totally adorable. I really liked Eleanor. She was easy to follow, she had good emotions, narrated well and was just...fun! I can't say that she stood out in my mind in any special way but I can say that I really enjoyed the story as far as she goes. I would have liked to see some memories or reason s why she's so close to her brother, but that's okay. It was still wonderful.
Daniel. I. HEART. He has so much potential and from this book I already know he will have some great moments to come. Haha. I can't say I've fallen head over heels with him, but I already love his character and just really liked every scene he was in. Tehe! He's adorable!!!!!!
So honestly, I will have to claim this as a fun read. It was a really nice read and there wasn't anything I'm really complaining about, but there wasn't anything that just stuck with me enough to make it an all time favorite. I'm very excited to see how things play out with
(A bit of language throughout (including 7 or 8 instances of the S-word.) A few kisses and mild innuendos)
Those are my thoughts? What about you? did you like this book? Do you like zombies? Historicals Do you want to read this one? Happy Monday!
Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2014 (19)
- ► 2013 (127)
- Book Blast: Keegan's Chronicles --> $100 GC Giveaw...
- "Hyperventilating on Wednesday": Life After Theft
- Announcing an ALL DECEMBER Event TAKEOVER!
- Book Blast: Crossroads Saga --> $100 GC Giveaway
- Review: Something Strange and Deadly
- Novel Thoughts Week 2 --> Fictional Worlds
- Book Haul --> 11/25: The Edelweiss Edition
- Review: Venom
- A HUGE THANK YOU POST OF AWESOMENESS EXTRAORDINAIR...
- "Hyperventilating on Wednesday" --> Another Little...
- Top Ten Tuesday: Books You're Thankful For
- Review: Origin
- Book Haul: 11/18/12 -> The EPIC Catch-Up Edition
- On Tour w/Undeadly: Promo + Giveaway
- Book Blitz: Miss Fortune Cookie
- UNDER CONSTRUCTION
- "Hyperventilating on Wednesday" --> Transparent
- On Tour w/The Salamander Stone: Guest Post+Excerpt...
- Bloggers: The Seven Deadly Sins Reincarnated
- Novel Thoughts #1 - Favorite Historicals
- ANNOUNCING...the All New Bombing Meme......
- DNF Review: Carnival of Souls
- The Author Spot: Emily Davenport + Guest Post
- Review: Ten
- "Hyperventilating on Wednesday" : The Ward
- One Tour w/Grace Doll: Top Tens
- Review: The Mark of Athena *Beware of GIFS*
- Cover Reveal: Pieces (The Breakaway #2)
- On Tour w/Infraction: Guest Post + Excerpt + Givea...
- Giveaway Galore Spotlight: Sparkles & Lightning Bl...
- BACK TO THE FUTURE GIVEAWAY HOP - Sign Up Now!!
- Review: The Hallowed Ones
- Random Announcements.
- Cover Reveal: Unresisting
- ▼ November (34)