Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Author: Bethany Griffin
Published: 4.24.12 by Greenwillow
Pages: 320

Everything is in ruins. A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them. So what does Araby Worth have to live for? Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up, and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does. And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.



Inky's Blurbs
From the first time I heard about this book I was eager and excited to get this. The idea of a retelling of the Allan Poe story fascinated me. Post apocalyptic set in a Steampunk-Dystopian Area? Yes please! But when I started reading it, it just really didn't grab me the way I had hoped it would.


Let's take the writing. I really wasn't grabbed in the first ten pages. It felt slow and confusing. There were times throughout the book where I felt there were sentences missing! For example there was a time when it mentions "Elliot followed my gaze." It never even told us she was looking at that particular thing! That's just one instance. There were times I was confused about what happened. I found myself asking. "Where exactly are we?" "How do you know this guy?" "How did he get there?" and things like that. 


And then we have Araby. I just didn't feel the connection at all. In the beginning of the book she's taking drugs to relieve herself and contemplating suicide. That changes by the end but I just never even got a hold of her character and her strengths. She wasn't particularly unique in anyway and even though she had a decent voice, it didn't capture me well. 


 Basically I kept reading because I had so many expectations and I wanted them fulfilled even if the first part of the book didn't have that. And by the end I think it grabbed me pretty well, but still not in the way I like. 


The romance was interesting. The guys are not swoon-worthy but they are interesting. Elliot was better in the beginning but I never really liked him. Will was much better and I loved him and his siblings. Okay and then you have Araby in the middle. I didn't even get who she really liked. Total mixed signals. It was annoying. 


So most of the book wasn't that impressive but I will give it to Bethany for her world-building. I totally got that point she was trying to get across. It was well developed and disease ridden and quite apocalyptic. Although I would have liked more Debauchery Club development


Overall, this book wasn't a total loss. It semi-kept my interest and the world was great. I think Will was part of the main reason I kept reading. I wanted to find out what happened to him and his little siblings. As for the rest, I didn't get the character connection or the writing suck. However if you are prone to like this kind of book I still suggest you try it. Maybe you'll like it better than me. 


Content: Mild-Moderate
(Language (H***, D***, Deity), Drug use, Suicide attempts, Mention of crude gestures, Innuendo)




What did you think of this book?
 I'd love to hear your thoughts if you've read it or not.









This review is 100% from Inky's brain and use of this review w/out consent is prohibited.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I actually devoured this book incredibly quick, but after I finished I felt very apathetic. I was often confused throughout the book too. It was too jumpy. I didn't really connect with Araby and I wasn't in love with either guy. I thought Will was really sweet, but we don't get to know him that much. And while Elliot is probably a psycho, I'll admit I want to know more about him. He's very mysterious.

    The only reason I can think of that I kept reading was because of the atmosphere. She truly did a fantastic job of creating a dark and depressing atmosphere.

    Great review! I agree 100%

    All the best ♥
    Mackenzie @ Oh, For the Love of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I'll probably read book 2, if only to find our more about the world and the boys. lol.

      Delete
  2. From the plot/cover this sounds like a really great read... suppose I'll have to read it to find out what I really think about it :) Thanks for the review!

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews