Thursday, April 12, 2012
The Gathering Storm by Robin Bridges

Published:1.10.12
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Pages: 386
Rating: 3 Stars

Summary: St. Petersburg, Russia, 1888. As she attends a whirl of glittering balls, royal debutante Katerina Alexandrovna, Duchess of Oldenburg, tries to hide a dark secret: she can raise the dead. No one knows. Not her family. Not the girls at her finishing school. Not the tsar or anyone in her aristocratic circle. Katerina considers her talent a curse, not a gift. But when she uses her special skill to protect a member of the Imperial Family, she finds herself caught in a web of intrigue.

An evil presence is growing within Europe's royal bloodlines—and those aligned with the darkness threaten to topple the tsar. Suddenly Katerina's strength as a necromancer attracts attention from unwelcome sources . . . including two young men—George Alexandrovich, the tsar's standoffish middle son, who needs Katerina's help to safeguard Russia, even if he's repelled by her secret, and the dashing Prince Danilo, heir to the throne of Montenegro, to whom Katerina feels inexplicably drawn.The time has come for Katerina to embrace her power, but which side will she choose—and to whom will she give her heart?



The Book in 3 Words: Historical, Interesting, Disappointing.


My Thoughts: Ookay. So. I didn't like this as much as I anticipated. Which is sad. Because I don't like to be let down. It even took me a while to get into it. Some of the problems I saw:

*I got confused and mixed up with who was who. Because like everyone was like a Duke/Duchess or a Prince/Princess. So maybe it's just my problem for getting them all confused, I don't know. Some details were left out that could have clarified some things. It was also a very fast ending for me. I got lost and things just disappeared so I didn't know what happened with them.

*I was kinda surprised how much this plot revolved around Vampires and Un-Dead/Zombies. I'm not a fan of hardcore vampires and zombies so when I can.
I would have liked to see her necromancy a little more.It seemed like it was going to be a big thing...but then...nope..it wasn't as big.  

*I felt like Katerina was a dull heroine. She was always seeing things get worse and knowing she should so something but then she doesn't really do something about it. She knows what she needs and should do but sometimes she doesn't. I got quite mad at her sometimes. Especially if she was making a dumb decisions against her heart.  


Now, on a more positive note, I did really enjoy the historical setting. I could tell it was well done. I would also point out that the minor side characters were really great though. Well developed and even better than Kat herself. I probably liked her brother Petya as the best character.

Overall it was enjoyable, but lacking a few key ingredients, so I could probably classify it as a Book-That-Didn't-Hook-Me


Content: Mild
((three instances of languge)) 

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews