Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Author: Mary Lindsey
Published: 12. 8. 11
Publisher: Philomel/Penguin
Pages: 336
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Summary: Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries. Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.


The Book In 3 Words: Entertaining, Interesting, Paranormal


My Thoughts: I enjoyed this book.  It wasn't a favorite but it kept my interest and I enjoyed where the story took me. The first thing that drew me to this book was the cover. WHAT A GORGEOUS COVER! I could stare at it, finger it, for forever. It's almost hypnotizing. Okay, not that much, but still gorgeous. 

This book could be a stand-alone, but I feel like the way it ended left much room for a sequel. Good thing there will be one. I thought the plot was good and pretty well paced, but there was so much more that could have been included in the plot line. Not only to make it more flavorful, but to add depth and character to the people and things they are involved with. 
 Lenzi, the main character was pretty well developed, but she annoyed me for the first half of the book. It felt like she was really whiny and complaining or something.  So that bugged me, but she got over it so it was fine. 


This was not a swoony boy book. *insert sad face* I wasn't inclined to rave or die for those boys. Zak was the annoying-boyfriend-put-there-to-give-tension-with-the-new-perfect-hot-boy. And Alden was the new-perfect-hot-boy-who-adds-tension-to-the-former-relationship-girl-has-with-boyfriend. Okay so Alden had more than one purpose and he was great but just not good enough to make my scarf.*


The take on paranormal reminded me of The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (review to come shortly). I started both at the same time and the beginning's just were similar. It was an interesting voice, but the whole voices and dead souls has been done before. The whole, help-them-move-on isn't original, it's the way it's presented. I think Shattered Souls did well with that, just as I've mentioned, not enough to make it a totally fab book. 

In One Sentence: An enjoyable read in Paranormal, but not one I'd consider a favorite.

Content: Mild

((Language throughout, with two instances of s-word. Some innuendo and kissing.))

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews