Saturday, April 21, 2012
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Published: 3. 27. 07
Pages: 496
Rating: 4/5 stars
Summary:When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . 

My Thoughts: It's been quite a while since I read this but I remember enjoying it, and with this book being widely popular I felt it time to review the first book. When I first read and reviewed this on Goodreads, my picky side took over. I picked it apart. But I'm toning this review down to a generally analysis. For your own sakes. 

I'll start with what annoyed me. The content of course, but it wasn't terrible. It also felt like Clary didn't get trained much at all. I mean she is living with warriors and during their down time they don't teach her how to survive. They kept saying that she "wasn't trained" or things along those lines and I'd be like "HELLO!" Kinda annoying.  

Clare did a fabulous job writing the book. She totally pulled me in and I really liked it. There were a few instances of predictability but I felt that it wasn't that bad. There were plenty of surprises to counter it. The story was well developed and interesting. I really liked most of the characters and how they were built up. A few words on them. 

Clary- Clary is the main protagonist. The story from her POV was interesting, because she has the craziest story to tell. There were times I thought that she was being completly idiotic and stupid, as well as times I liked her. She had a very good voice at telling the story and she was defiantly a POV well done

Jace - Where to begin? Jace was a very interesting mix of character traits. In a way he's the kind of guy you are really annoyed at and yet really like at the same time. There were times when he would have a complete character change really fast and I thought that it was just totally abnormal and out of character for him. But I did like him. Not sure what will happen with him as a love interest.

Simon- Simom was an interesting sidekick. (Is that the right term for him?) He's the best friend of the main protagonist. He's like the outcast who doesn't fit into the world. I liked him. He was a really good character. Go Simon. He did have his faults, yes. But I liked him all the same.

As for the side characters they were also well portrayed so that I got a good feel of the setting and what was being dealt with. I think this story was good. I enjoyed the time I read it and I was glad I got a lot of background and wasn't left in the shadows. I've heard incredible blurb about the rest of these books so I might just have to snag a copy of book two. 

In One Sentence: A well written, enjoyable Paranormal novel.

Content: Mild-Moderate
((Language throughout - no S or F words. There is a gay character as well as a smattering of innuendo.))

This review is 100% from Inky's brain, and use of this review without consent is prohibited. 

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews