Thursday, May 17, 2012
Author: Jen Calonita
Series: Belles #1
Published: April 10, 2012 by Poppy
Pages: 356
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Fifteen-year-old Isabelle Scott loves her life by the boardwalk on the supposed wrong side of the tracks in North Carolina. But when tragedy strikes, a social worker sends her to live with a long-lost uncle and his preppy privileged family, Isabelle is taken away from everything she’s ever known, and, unfortunately, inserting her into the glamorous lifestyle of Emerald Cove doesn’t go so well. Her cousin Mirabelle Monroe isn’t thrilled to share her life with an outsider, and, in addition to dealing with all the rumors and backstabbing that lurk beneath their classmates’ Southern charm, a secret is unfolding that will change both girls’ lives forever.

My Thoughts: Belles was a really sweet, fresh contemporary that I really enjoyed. The setting was lovely, the plot was lovely it was all a lovely fun read that I really liked. It's full of preppy fun and high societies. So it's filled with Queen Bees, secrets, lies and thrilling drama. Oooh-la-la! It was very fun to read and get into that kind of a society. It was well developed on the storyline level. I felt that I understood well and could just enjoy.

The story was told from two switching viewpoints, Mira and Izzie. The princess and the pauper. I enjoyed reading the different viewpoints. I would have wished it to be in first person but it was still really good and the girls developed. They grew and changed gradually and it was really wonderful. The ironic thing about these characters was the they both have a belle in their names. (Hence the title I would assume). And two of the boys in this book are Hayden and Brayden. What is up with that? Amusing but fun all the same.

In the midst of all the -somewhat predictable- drama there is the love aspect. Yes it was a bit cheesy but still very sweet. I liked seeing it play out and how Mira's character evolving played a bit part in it. I really liked that. And sweet Izzie, so many things go wrong for her but I still love her dearly.

This was a very fun, sweet, cute, beautiful contemporary that I highly recommend and a book to love, or as a beach read by the boardwalk. Very well done.

Content: Mild
(a few instances of language (OMG) and a couple of kisses)

Have you read Belles? If so, what did you think?









This review is 100% from Inky's brain, and use of this review w/out consent is prohibited

1 comment:

Heyo! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! I love to hear from my awesome-sauce blog readers. You just made my day! I try to reply to every comment I get so if you have a question check back later! Or just link me up to your blog (if you have one) and I'll visit you! Have a Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day! <333 Inky

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews