Monday, May 21, 2012

Author: Maria V. Snyder
Series: Healer #1 
Published: 12. 20. 11 by Mira (Harlequin)
Pages: 390
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...

In One Word: Breathtaking

What I Thought: Oh. Wow. This. Book. Was. Amazing. This is the first of Maria's books that I have read and it won't be the last. It had everything you could want in a novel! Action, Magic, Surprises, and Romance! It was an incredible blend of all into one delightful read.

There were quite a few times I had to put this book down, but I ALWAYS wanted to come back to it. Sometimes I was annoyed when I had to set it down for a minutes. A ton of things went into that. First I felt like the setting and world building was incredible. I was just sucked into the land of the 15 Kingdoms and the magic and all the little details that make the world what it was. Like some of the special plants including the Death Lilies. And the way it was presented was great as well. Not overwhelming in detail, but introduced as the story progressed. I like that. She didn't spend paragraphs describing things. It just flowed Which brings me to my next point...

The writing was almost seamless. I grabbed me and didn't really let me go. There were twists I didn't see coming and surprises that brought up the suspense and depth of the story. Another aspect that I loved was Avry's character. She was developed and introduced as the story progressed so that I could understand how she felt and sympathize with her. She wasn't one of those characters you just hate. At least she wasn't for me.

Going into the romantic aspect...it was great. This is not one of your traditional romances. I'm not going to say anything about who the love is but loved how it wasn't love from the beginning. It wasn't love till past the halfway point! It was a "grow and change and evolve into love". It was an incredible development and satisfying to know that they had already had that rough patch and grown together.

Okay, the Monkeys were amazing. Flea was so great! I loved that whole juggling theme. Loren and Quain reminded me of Merry and Pippin from Lord of the Rings. I just love the whole gang and seeing them and their history fit into their characters!

So that's my blurb on this book. I would really recommend it. I'm for sure excited for the release of the sequel, come next year! For those who like content ratings and/or worry about content, there is a bit of questionable happenings at the end. Read on for specifics.

Content: Moderate
(Language throughout (D***, H***, Bas****) Kissing. Forced passion via magic. Some implied sex at the end.)

Themes of the Review: Very well done development and progressiveness in many aspects of the story. Well told and engaging. A very fun read!

 Find This Book: Goodreads / Amazon

 Have you read Touch of Power? Have you read any other books by Maria? What would you recommend? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Till Next Time,
 






This review is 100% from Inky's brain. Use of this review w/out consent is prohibited. 

0 comments:

Search Me:


Follow on Bloglovin
Powered by Blogger.

Grab My Button!

Photobucket

The Archives:

Total Pageviews